Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Manners Be Gone!


Recently I have thought a lot about manners and decent behavior. A couple of days ago I ran into an old neighbor in the local supermarked…A nice man though I’ve always considered him a bit odd, but he was always relatively nice towards me when I was a child. Now, I have not seen this man since I was around 15-16 of age and had to move to New York, so its been around a decade. Naturally I said ‘Hi! Long time, no see’ with a smile on my face as soon as I recognized him. I was quite shocked, when he turned around and said;
‘Hi…well You’ve gained quite a few, haven’t you?’
Now this is true. I have indeed gained weight, since my reconstruction phase also known as my teenage years. During my High School years and University days  I gained more weight since I was 16 years old. I went from having a toothpick boyish body to a curvy female body with… I’ll admit it….a little too much meat on the stomach, breasts, ass and thighs at times….depending on whether or not I have time to exercise….
Basically….I grew up.
Now I could stand to loose a few but in general Im actually pretty happy with myself and my body. So the content of his statement didn’t really bother me….
What strikes me as odd with his comment is….who the Hell says that to another person they have not seen for years and barely know??? Its offensive, rude and just bad manners!
I wanted to say ‘yeah, well time hasn’t been kind to you either Mr. Three chins!’…but I just could not get myself to sink down to his level….even though I am sure it would have felt great at the moment, Im sure I would have felt awful stooping down to his level…
…and I know there are many people on and off the grid thinking ‘whats the problem? If you gained weight, you gained weight. Nothing wrong with the truth?’ …and Im with you on that one….
But….
Who the Hell says that kind of thing to a person whose almost a stranger?
Thats just weird….and bloody rude! Where have common decency and manners gone????
People just don’t care about their fellow man anymore….
Why does everybody has to be so bloody rude? I just don’t get it…
I grew up with my single father and my grandmother raising me….now my grandmother is from the old school….You don’t follow her rules, she’d slap you on the back of the head and preach you at least thirty lessons. A very effective way of parenting….To this day I still get up from my seat whenever I see a senior citizen, a person with an obvious disability or pregnant women…If I don’t get up, I can hear my grandmother shouting in my head:
‘CHILD GET UP! You got two perfectly good working legs. You’re in good health. You wont break from standing up in a bus or in the metro. Now GET OFF YOUR BUM and give your seat to that nice pregnant woman there who obviously need a seat…or you’re grounded ! *smack on the back of the head*’
It doesn’t matter that Im a grown woman and can’t really be grounded anymore. Everytime I hear her voice in reality or in my head I react.
Or such a thing as saying thank you after someone did you a service. It doesn’t matter that many people paid to do it, a thank you can make a tedious job less tedious and make another person feel better. Its such a small word but it holds so much power…
or even helping another person carry a too big a piece of luggage down some tricky steps….
A soldier helped me with my suitcase down some stairs the other day and I was in awe of him for doing such an act for a stranger…It has never happened to me in my adult life as of yet that someone would offer to help me out with heavy luggage
Its quite sad that an act of decency  should shock and astound people….
Where have our manners and the decency for our fellow man gone???

No comments:

Post a Comment